Can I use my laptop as a monitor for my PS4? Maybe, this question pops up in your mind, once in a while. It is not impossible to use your laptop for playing PS4. Even though it is more enjoyable with a big size TV, in an emergency, you might need your laptop to replace it. For example, if your TV is broken, or your family just can’t give you the TV because they want to watch their favorite TV shows. The monitor screen maybe is not as big as the TV screen. However, it’s enough to give you a monitor to use for playing your favorite PS4 game. So, How to use laptop as monitor for ps4? Here, we will guide you to use your laptop as a monitor for PS4. It might be a little bit complicated. Make sure you follow our guide to get it done perfectly.
How to Use Laptop as Monitor for Sony PS4
Even though laptop also has HDMI port, you can’t just connect it with your Sony PS4, and voila, you get the monitor for playing the game. The laptop HDMI port wasn’t designed to do that. Otherwise, many people will use it for playing PS4. You need to tweak it a little bit. It seems difficult and impossible, at first. But it is doable.
The most important thing here is creating a bridge that can connect the monitor to your game console. For that reason, you also need to choose a laptop that can do that. Unfortunately, mostly, your laptops don’t have an option that can provide a connection like that. The HDMI connection on many laptops these days is a one-directional connection. It means the duplet link that is needed here doesn’t exist.
Furthermore, laptop and PS4 only has an output HDMI port. That means if you connect them, the result is obvious. It won’t connect. However, you don’t need to worry. We have two methods here you can use to magically change this preset. Follow them, and you will get a special laptop monitor for playing your PS4 games.
How to Use Laptop as Monitor for PS4 Using Capture Card
One of the best ways to change your laptop into a PS4 monitor is by using video capture cards. You need to buy this device separately. It might cost you more, but this is an effective way for this project. Other than video capture cards, you also need a laptop that is compatible with it, connection to Wi-Fi or Ethernet, file sharing compatibility, S-video connector, and of course, HDMI cable. And, here is how you do it.
- Open your PS4 Main Menu, under the Setting tab, find the Network Option. At there, you need to activate the file-sharing option. To do that, you need to choose the Network Setting to open your internet connection option. Here, you need to adjust the connection that you need. A Wireless internet connection is the best option. You also can use a Wi-Fi router, then choose the configuration that compatible with PS4 and your laptop.
- Once the connection is established, the connection (streaming) is doable between PS4 devices and laptops. Now, you need to connect the video capture card to your laptop by using the USB port. Once it is connected and your laptop detects the video capture card device, you can start the installation of the driver and software to use this device. Once it’s done, you can move to the next step.
- Use the S-Video connector to connect the video capture card to your PS4. You can buy this connector in the store and it’s cheap and easy to find. Make sure the HDMI-In link in the connecter is connected to the video card, while the HDMI-Out link to PS4 device.
- Once it is properly connected, run the video capture card software you just installed, and turn on your PS4. The software will capture the image from your PS4 and display it on your laptop monitor. And, that’s it.
This method needs an extra buck. However, it’s the easiest method compared to the next method we are going to explain to you. This method is also a perfect solution if you don’t have a stable high-speed internet connection. Everything was done by using a converter, which is the video capture card.
How to Use Laptop as Monitor for PS4 with HDMI
Now, let’s move to the second method. We will use the Sony Remote Play, to stream your PS4 on your laptop screen. What you need to prepare is a laptop, USB cable or Dualshock 4USB wireless adaptor, and an account for using Sony Remote Play, plus a stable and high-speed internet connection.
- Download and install the latest version of the Sony Remote Play app from the Sony website. It is available in many versions. Make sure you choose the compatible one with your laptop OS (choose between the app for Windows or macOS). Once it’s installed, we need to set up your PS4 setting.
- Open PS4 Settings and enable Remote Play Connection for accessing the network through your PS4. You can do it by activating your PS4 or using its Rest Mode. To activate Rest Mode, open Power Save Setting, and you can enable this option there. Most of the PS4 devices have already activated the Rest Mode as its default setting. However, if it didn’t have it as default, you can use that method to activate this mode.
- After you finished step 2 above, you can start the connection. First of all, turn on the device on your network. To do this, activate the “Enable Turning On” option on the PS4 menu. Then, you need to open the Sony Play Remote application on your laptop. In the application windows, choose the screen resolutions that you want. For the best experience, choose 720p resolution. This is also the ideal option for playing a PS4 game.
- The last step you need to do is connecting the controller to your laptop. You can use the USB adapter here. Once you connect the controller, wait until the “Start” button appears on the Remote Play app window. It might need a little bit of time to make the button appear. Just keep it connected while you are waiting for it. Once you find it, click it.
- The app will display the PlayStation login screen by using the network that you have been established earlier. Then, it will choose PS4 in the system to start the connection. Now, you can stream the PS4 games on your laptop screen.
As long as your internet connection is stable, and you don’t have any problem with your device and setting, the games will be displayed smoothly on your laptop screen. It even feels much better than playing it on your TV. Furthermore, if your laptop has a higher resolution than your TV, you can expect a better-quality image on it.
Final Verdict : Use Laptop Screen as Monitor for PS4
That’s How to use laptop as monitor for PS4. Hopefully, with the two methods, we explained above, you won’t have any problem, whenever you need an extra or alternative monitor screen for playing your PS4 games. Follow the guide carefully and you can change your laptop into a game device.